Try this heavenly Paneer Makhani Recipe which is also known as Paneer Makhanwala. It is a popular dish in the North India and is easy to make. Make this soft paneer dipped in rich tomato gravy for a weeknight or for a party.
The Paneer Makhani Recipe is an all time favorite north Indian dish that is cooked in a rich tomato based gravy. The subtle blend of spices like cardamom, dried fenugreek leaves and the cream adds to the richness and flavor to the Makhani recipe.
Serve the Paneer Makhani with an Indian bread of your choice for a cozy and quick weeknight dinner.
Recipe Servings 4 | Prep Time 20 mins | Cook Time 40 mins | Total Cook Time 1 hr
- 250 grams Paneer (Homemade Cottage Cheese)
- 2 cups Homemade tomato puree
- 1/4 cup Fresh cream
- 1 Onion , roughly chopped
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder (Jeera)
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- Salt, to taste
- Sunflower Oil, for cooking
- To begin making the Paneer Makhani Recipe, make sure you have the Home Made Paneer and the Tomato Puree ready. Keep them aside.
- In the next step, make a smooth paste of the onion, ginger and garlic in a food grinder.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add a teaspoon of oil. Add the onion paste mixture and saute it on medium heat until the raw smell goes away. This would take about 4 minutes approximately.
- Next add the turmeric powder, cumin powder, cardamom powder, garam masala powder and stir-fry it along with the masala for about 2 minutes. This process of sauteing the masala helps the onions loose its raw smell faster.
- Once, well sauteed, add the tomato puree and simmer until the tomato puree begins to start bubbling and boiling.
- Once it does, stir in the cream, chilli powder, salt, kasuri methi and paneer. Give the paneer makhani a good stir and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- After about 3 minutes of simmering, check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste. Turn off the heat and transfer the paneer makhani to a serving bowl.
- Serve the Paneer Makhani with an Indian bread of your choice for a cozy and quick weeknight dinner.