Butter Chicken! The name alone can make you want to enjoy this ever-so-popular Indian dish. Butter chicken continues to be a hit among Indians and foreigners alike, especially those who want a taste of authentic Indian cuisine. There are many versions of how this dish was created and most historians agree that the iconic Butter Chicken was invented in the kitchens of Moti Mahal Restaurants, Inda. This recipe of Butter Chicken is easy to follow and makes for an instant conversation-starter!
Ingredients of Butter Chicken Recipe Marinated overnight, the chicken is roasted and cooked in tomato puree, cream, butter and a host of masalas. A perfect dinner party recipe, this North-Indian style chicken recipe is made throughout the country with equal zest and can be served with cooked rice or naan.
Recipe Servings 4 | Prep Time 20 mins | Cook Time 30 mins | Total Time 50 mins
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Green Cardamom – 10
- Mace / Javitri – 2 Flowers
- Garlic – 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes – 8
- Boneless Chicken Cubes – 400 gm
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1Tbsp
- Salt – 1.5 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 1 Tsp
For Gravy Part 2
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Green Chillies – 8
- Ginger – 2 inch Julienned
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – 2 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 Tbsp
- Heavy Cream – 1/2 Cup
- Honey – 3 Tsp
- Kasoori Methi / Dry Fenugreek Leaves – 2 Tsp
- Oil to Pan Fry Chicken
- In a bowl take Washed Boneless Chicken Cubes.
- Now add the Marination Spices. Ginger Garlic Paste, Salt, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric and Roasted Cumin Powder and Mix well.
- Now Refrigerate it for 30 minutes
- In a Shallow Pan on medium flame take some oil. Once the oil is hot add chicken pieces one by one.
- Fry on both sides till well done. Take a piece and cut to make sure chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- In a Large pan on medium to high heat add butter , oil, Bay Leaf , Green Cardamom , Mace and Garlic. Keep stirring so the butter doesn’t turn brown.
- Cook till Garlic is starting to cook.
- Now Add Tomatoes to it, Cook them till tomatoes are cooked and soft. You may also add a bit of salt to speed up the cooking of tomatoes.
- Turn the flame off and let the mix cool a bit.
- Now transfer this in a grander and make it in a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Now in the same pan take some more butter, Green Chillies, Ginger and cook till raw aroma of Ginger goes away.
- Now in a fine mesh strainer, Strain the Grinded paste. Take a spoon and move it in circular pattern in the strainer to push the paste through. There eill be some tomato skin left in the strainer. You can discard it.
- Now add Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Salt, Garam Masala to the the gravy and mix well.
- Now Add Cream , Honey and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. You can also add water at this step if the gravy is too thick.
- Add the Pan Fried Chicken Peices, Kasoori Methi to the Gravy and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and Cook on Medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with Cilantro and Serve.