Warm your dinner table with this hearty, meaty curry. Straight from a Kashmiri kitchen, here’s a rogan josh recipe that has meat stirred along with a host of spices and herbs, mixed with curd and pressure cooked till tender. A delicious dish to serve at dinner parties!
Recipe Servings 6 | Prep Time 10 mins | Cook Time 40 mins | Total Time 50 mins | Difficulty Level Easy
1 Kg meat
1 cup mustard/refined oil
3 tsp red chili powder
3 tsp fennel powder
2 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp cumin powder
3 tsp brown cardamom powder
1 tsp asafoetida
4 Green cardamom
2 Cinnamon sticks
2 Bay leaves
1/3 tsp saffron (optional)
1 cup curd
A pinch of salt
- Wash the meat properly. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Put cinnamon, bay leaves, green cardamom, cloves, a teaspoon of salt, asafoetida, and meat together.
- Fry meat till it turns brown. Once browned, pour a cup of water.
- Add the red chili powder and saffron into the meat. Keep stirring for about a minute.
- Mix the curd nicely in the mixer and pour it into the pressure cooker.
- Keep on stirring till you get a reddish tinge.
- Add 2 cups of water, fennel powder, ginger powder, and pressure cook for 2 minutes.
- Check if the meat is tender. Peel and grind green and brown cardamom and add to the meat dish.
- Finally sprinkle cumin powder and simmer for a minute and serve.
You can serve mutton rogan josh with some steamed rice or any Indian bread of your choice.