Chicken on the bone cooked till tender in a simple spicy punjabi style onion tomato style gravy.
Be a kid or a teenage or an adult or an oldie, chicken lovers trend all over the world at all times! One meat that is a favourite of all beyond belief! When cooked, it can be presented in many guises. Sauté it, fry it, toss it, bake it, steam it – eat it the way you want to. Whatever its form may be upon being cooked, its flavour may change but its flesh remains high in protein, low in fat and can be digested easily.
Recipe Servings 4 | Prep Time 10-15 mins | Cook Time 20-25 mins | Level Of Cooking Easy | Taste Spicy
- Chicken skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces on the bone 750 grams
- Ghee 3 tablespoons
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaves 2
- Green cardamoms 3-4
- Black cardamom 1
- Cinnamon 1 inch stick
- Cloves 3-4
- Black peppercorns 3-4
- Onions chopped 3 large
- Ginger paste 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste 2 tablespoons
- Red chilli powder 2 teaspoons
- Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Tomatoes chopped 2 large
- Salt to taste
- Yogurt whisked 1 cup
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coriander leaves chopped 2 tablespoons
- Heat the ghee and oil in a non-stick pan, add the bay leaves, both cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and onions and sauté till the onions turn golden.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste, red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and sauté for two minutes. Add the tomatoes and salt and sauté for three to four minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and sauté on high heat for five minutes, or till lightly browned. Add the yogurt and sauté for five more minutes or till almost dry.
- Add two cups of water and mix well. When the mixture comes to a boil, cover and cook till the chicken is almost done.
- Sprinkle the garam masala powder, mix well and cook for two to three more minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.